Creating a Culture of Quality

One of the biggest obstacles to establishing an ISO-compliant laboratory is resistance from both junior and senior staff. How do you think can we best facilitate change towards a culture of quality? Examples from various settings would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• A tough one, I must say. I thought my lab was the only one facing this issue. Well, we cannot deny that a Culture of Quality is important for a successful and sustainable ISO compliance. Change is difficult but if we apply a carefully planned and systematic approach, it's possible to cultivate the Culture of Quality in the personnel. I have personally identified three things that when applied, can be helpful. In no particular order;

1. Train, train train: People are mostly not interested in things they don't understand. Sometimes staff are reluctant to comply because they don't know how. They don't understand the importance and even how to do what you want them to do. Training is helpful and the most effective way is to customize training to suit the needs and abilities of your staff. Make it fun.
    2. Delegate/appoint/Put people in charge: No one wants to fail. If you assign a task to someone and equip the person, I believe with the right motivation, they can accomplish the task within set timelines. By assigning tasks, monitoring and evaluating work done, it becomes achievable.
    3. Reward them: This might sound controversial, but very effective. Reward good work. This encourages people to learn and do more. Rewards can but should not be limited to monetary. Sometimes a simple pat on the back, a thumps-up, words of appreciation and encouragement can go a long way to build interest. Even if the work done is not satisfactory, encourage them. Let them know they can do it. The more people develop interest in Quality, the more their mindset are renewed towards Quality.

There are more. I know people have a lot to share. I am waiting to learn more from all the experienced resources here. 😊🤞