What will be your course delivery model when you implement this training?

edited August 30 in Archived

Now that you have experienced our eLearning model, I hope you have begun forming ideas of what your model will look like. Please share your thoughts by addressing the following questions. Specify what practices from our model will you ADOPT, ADAPT, or ABANDON, and why?

• what will be your course structure and duration?
  • how will you keep participants engaged?
  • how will you facilitate interpersonal connections and learning community?
  • how will you ensure participants successfully complete the course while holding a full-time job?
  • how will you ensure timely attendance and submission of homework?
  • Will you implement an incentive program?
  • How will you boost attendance rate and manage absenteeism?
  • How will you manage internet challenges?
  • What indicators will you track? What will be your measures for success?

Comments

• My course structure will be as it is currently on the website however , I will have 6 months to deliver the content to participants .I will keep my participants engaged by having them compete using games , asking open ended questions on practical aspects of the course on chat box and also telling them stories related to the course material .I will facilitate interpersonal connections and learning community by creating WhatsApp discussion groups and the use of other social media platforms . I will make the requirements of the course very clear before engagement and also walk closely with the participants by discussing their challenges after every session .The course evaluation will become handy in understanding the challenges participants will be facing and trying to adjust the training where possible .I will use motivations such as recognition for each module covered and non monetary means to ensure participants attend sessions and submit their homework on time .I will also implement an incentive program to ensure participants remain motivated throughout the course of the training .I will boost attendance rates by setting out requirements for certification in terms of attendance and leaving little room for emergencies only .I will also make it clear to participants that regular feedback on their performance in the course will be given to their supervisors and facility management at the end of each module . Challenges with internet will be dealt with by collecting data for those unable to log in and whose internet becomes unstable in the course of a session and make individualized recommendations .This may include advise to changing the internet provider depending on their location as well as looking for the best spot for a strong and stable internet connectivity .I will track indicators such as number of participants present in each session , number of chats from each participant , quality of homework , participation in polls and knowledge check .Number of engagements per participant per session . I will grade the indicators and give an acceptance score of over 80%.

• Thanks Paul for sharing your detailed plan. Will you also adhere to the "flipped classroom" model (participants do homework before coming to a live (i.e., synchronous) session for debrief and group discussion to deepen their learning? Will you implement the course in a face-to-face or eLearning mode, or a hybrid of both? If hybrid, what does that look like?

• My course structure will not differ much from the one we are having right now. i will implement SLMTA e-learning program because it is cost effective and can cover a wide range pf participants also for those who have full time job attendance or full time students can have an opportunity to attend the e-learning session. I would maintain a duration of 4 months because sometimes when it is too long it becomes boring.

I would wish to adopt some of the practices like having webinars and live sessions ,giving homework where participants will be required to watch the recorded videos before doing homework assignment, keeping participants engaged through asking questions and request them to type in the chart box, playing games like "who is this person" which encourages participants to know each other, posting poll questions, Having a Q &A session , Taking surveys after every webinar which will help us improve depending on participants'' comments, discussing homework and ensuring that all participants understand, Giving motivation to the best performing participants, creating a WhatsApp group for an easy and quick communication to participants and also clarification incase of any difficulty.

A would adapt some of the practices by ensuring that despite taking a survey after every webinar and every module, a would also prepare a short exam to check participants knowledge on the competed module.

I would facilitate interpersonal connection and learning community by encouraging group discussions, having discussion charts whereby participants will be allowed to bring on board any issue that may need clarification, also i will try and ensure that i invite participants to the webinar half an hour before the session starts and ensure an active discussion takes place of getting to know each other better.

I would ensure that participants complete the course while holding a full-time job by encouraging them and also giving them humble time to finish their homework and submit it 48 hour before the next session. I would implement an incentive program so as to encourage competition among participants. I would boost attendance rate and manage absenteeism through first making sure before participants are enrolled into the program they seek consent from their employer and if is a student from their Principle. Second, the rules will be set for the participants to follow failure to which they will be expelled.

My indicators will be : Number of participants who attended the webinar, Number of participants who joined webinar on time, timely submission of the homework. My success measure will be a score of 80% for every indicator.

• On my side I will adopt this e-learning training, I will consider the course duration similar to what I am attending now. My participants will be engaged through Discussions by themselves sharing their knowledges and experience. I will also use energizers before beginning the session so that they can relax and have fun. unlike face to face classroom activities, participants would have more time to look for other sources and references based on their homework given and hence will broaden the ways of finding information and use of technology (ICT), they will be gain more ownership of knowledge in terms of practicing in the community. By understanding clearly, it would be easy for them to practice the new knowledge of implementing . For those who are full time employees they should seek for extra time or exemption especially to listen and attempt the homework given in a smooth manner. Through reminders the participants will be given reminder during office hour. During webinar I will use incentive like like " let us give him or her a big up for good response" or other commendations. Regarding the management of absenteeism that will be depending on the nature of some one who may not give reason of absence and there will be a terms of reference to ensure that every participant would agree and follow clearly. On the issues of internet challenges, a robust back-up is suggested to ensure that this is covered whether by having multiple devices and also a standby generator. Based on the recorded lectures participants may be able to ask questions for them to get clear understanding before, office hour and during debrief live sessions, a poll will be used to track who was available and who did not attend. Participants will be considered successfully upon their full attendance, completion of Homework or assignments and their participation during live sessions.

• Hi Jaffer, you said "a poll will be used to track who was available and who did not attend." If you are thinking about using Zoom poll to take attendance, it may not be the best way. Kennedy can show you how to get a spreadsheet from Zoom that shows who attended and how long (# minutes) they have attended a session. It will even show how many times they logged in (indicating they were dropped due to internet connectivity issues). He uses this objective evidence to decide who needs to watch the recording of the live session and complete the quiz because they have missed 25% of the recorded time of the webinar. Of course, if you are not using Zoom to implement this course, this will not work for you.

• what will be your course structure and duration? For me in my brain still look a like spakety but I will implement the course and duration step by step like this SLMTA course.
    • how will you keep participants engaged? call participant randomly to read the section in PPT, always ask them a easy question (like a poll if possible) to test their knowledge and understanding, give them some gift like activity participated certificate, play some game and give them homework.
    • how will you facilitate interpersonal connections and learning community? I would like to Apply Adult Learning Principle on each training.
    • how will you ensure participants successfully complete the course while holding a full-time job? Ask them to train back by randomly choosing a topic, review their completed homework to ensure they are understand the main objective of each training topic.
    • how will you ensure timely attendance and submission of homework? Define a deadline and give them a limit time of un-sending their homework. But also consider if someone they have special reason or consider case by case.
    • Will you implement an incentive program? I think so, that I may prepare a criteria of complete the course and prepare some gift if they are complied the criteria for each week (criteria including: number of discussion/chatting, Q&A during training, submitting homework on acceptable deadline and attend the training on time).
    • How will you boost attendance rate and manage absenteeism? I am also one of this group who is not participate, sending homework, and I think I should ask them to know their real - live, what is the reason and give them some power, some idea to manage and do the maximum that they could do, these will be accept for me... (My opinion only).
    • How will you manage internet challenges? I don't have an idea on this point, just one work they must prepare the most faster WIFI or network and login before the class 5-15 minutes.
    • What indicators will you track? What will be your measures for success? for me all element is effect to the quality of participants. according to this SLMTA course, I would measure by the understanding of completing homework...

All feedback are welcome

Thank you

• Hi Katy,

This course show a lot of good benefit to guide participants to improve their laboratory management skills. However, this kind of e-learning platform required so much independent and self commitment which could be hard for implementing in Cambodia situation right now where we found out the onsite mentoring is a key factor to help improving LQMS implementing in lab.

What is your suggestion? Thank you

• The course structure would be hybrid: in-person and e-learning. Planning for a 6mths duration.

• edited June 2022

• edited June 2022

Hello Katy,

• I will borrow a lot of teaching methodologies and structure from SLMTA 3 TOT. However, when in comes to cause duration, I will consider giving a one week break to the participant after each module. I will keep participants engaged through asking questions and giving them reasonable time to respond, launching polls, simple games and rewards. I will facilitate interpersonal connections and learning community through creating discussion forums where participants can share ideas.

• I will ensure participants successfully complete the course while holding a full-time job by getting employer consent to allow participants time off work to join the class. In order to ensure timely attendance and submission of homework, I will give clear instruction of homework submission timelines as well the time participants will be required to log in. penalties for non adherence will also be well elaborated.

• I will implement incentive programs to reward hard work and boost participants' morale. In order to boost attendance rate and manage absenteeism, I will reward punctual participants, track absenteeism and get to know the reason behind their absenteeism and how we can resolve the problems. I will also encourage participants to respect each another's opinion and assist each other as necessary.

• To ensure there are no or minimal internet interruptions/challenges, I will use the strongest internet network in the country and also encourage the participant to do the same. I will also have a back up device.

• I will track the following indicators;

a) Timely login in to webinar

b) No. of webinars attended

c) Participation in polls

d) Timely submission of completed home works.

• My measure of success will be the number of participants who will complete the course, satisfactory performance in quizzes and home works and their ability to put into practice the knowledge gained during the training sessions.

• In my pint of view, some points I need to adopt and some points I need to adapt SLMTA3 model. The key points that I need to adopt are

-         All training materials and the concept of lecture and explanation,

-         Use ISO15189 clause to explain at the beginning of each lecture to let all participants clearly understand about the requirements.

-         The method that keep participant to engage before, during, and after each session.

-         The activities to catch participant attention during the session and complete homework.

-         The ways to response to participants question and the ways to motivate participants to engage week by week.

Recently, two methods that I have used for NPHL ISO15189 supported labs: (1) face to face learning and mentorship and (2) online learning and mentorship. This depend on covid-19 situation and budget availability. Online leaning spends less than face to face learning; however, these two methods have different pros and cons.

Regarding SLMTA approach, we still use face to face learning as it more active, more fruitful and fit with Cambodia situation. 

• My delivery model will not change much from this one, but one thing i am considering is one week break between the module
    • i will keep my participant engaged by asking questions for them to share their knowledge and experience on the discussed topics
    • interpersonal skills will be facilitated by encouraging them to know each other through discussion forums and discussion through the whattsup groups, sharing their individual laboratory experiences and learning from each other
    • for the participants to finish the course and ensuring timely submission of home work, i will request the authorization from the management for them to be allowed time off or given ample time to attend to the webinar and enough time to complete the home work
    • incentive program will also not be different from the TOT practice, in addition to the current incentive i will introduce awarding certificated to the 3 best homework
    • Absenteeism will be managed case by case, depends on the cause
    • internet is sometimes difficult to manage depends on the location of some participants, i will advice my participant to locate a good network and make that a spot for their attendance
    • My indicators will be quality of homework, timely homework submissions, this will give me a clue whether participant understood the home work instructions, webinar and office hours attendance, discussion participations. Measure of success will be the number of participants submitting quality homework as well as the number of participants finishing the course successfully

• The model that has been primed of us during this e-learning period is worth implementing at Country level. What I will do:

• endure participants are reminded of class hours in advance , constant e-mail reminders
    • Homework's for participants are well done having quality materials i.e. output
    • Guide and support participants all through until end of the course
    • SLMTA dollars for motivation to participants
    • Track individual participants and know who needs extra support so that he /she can be able to master the training contents and be able to deliver back at the facility
    • Encourage the participants on the need to ensure that they have better internet connectivity during all class hours
    • Create a conducive learning environment for participants and encourage them that others have made it and they will also make it....it will not be a walk in the path but enjoyable journey "Katy Yao"
    • The teaching materials will be delivered "as is basis" no modification but delivered as designed
    • Encourage participants to share real life lab settings for the discussions

In a nut shell I will deploy the course exactly how I went through it with my Country colleagues.

• I would keep the participants engaged by opening discussions outside the classes/webinars, launch polls, ask open ended questions on how they find the presentations/resources, discuss submitted assignments and ask participants to review/comment, commend/reward voluntary participation as often as possible, immediately and long term. call participants at random to read texts/answer questions/comment on matters that arise from topics discussed/etc.

Interpersonal interactions would be facilitated before the actual commencement of the course. Participating individuals would be introduced, and group chats created to begin discussions such as: where each participant is coming from, their background, and experience; availability and participation rating, possible distractions, best environment/method of learning, what to expect in the course/what is expected of them/employers, etc. This would be sustained throughout the learning period. some group assignments would be given at intervals, learning portal would be open 20-30mins before sessions.

To ensure successful completion while holding a full time job, participants would be required to apply what they have learnt in the course to their job tasks at intervals that would be determined as needed.

To ensure timely attendance and homework submission, I would provide information of approximate time required for the session/to prepare for the assignment and involve them in determining the time to meet and the time to submit.

An incentive program would be implemented. But, is quite challenging to determine now. It would be influenced by what motivates the participants in a particular cohort. This information would be gathered during interactive sessions/discussions before the course begins.

To boost attendance, the learning environment would be kept friendly. Gentle and friendly reminders would be sent. communication would be kept nicely continuous. Course delivery styles would be varied to sustain interest and surpass expectations. Absenteeism would be unacceptable. But, recordings of live sessions would be made available for those who may be absent with consent and/or for emergencies.

The participants would have to self-manage internet challenges. Not the course provider. Reminders for this would be continuously provided.

The indicators would be:

1. Percentage attendance
    2. Percentage participation in the various sessions
    3. Quality of contributions during discussions and interactions
    4. Timeliness of assignment submission
    5. Percentage voluntary participation
    6. Timeliness of live sessions attendance
    7. Displayed and perceived percentage of involvement during group assignments/tasks/sessions
    8. Quality of submitted assignment, including the ease of comprehension of what is submitted
    9. Internet stability
    10. Number/duration of consented/emergency absenteeism

• All course delivery considerations is with my colleagues in-country. Modification/changes would be done with adequate discussions and agreement on what is best for the country's laboratory program on QMS/CQI.

Many thanks to our facilitators and all our participating colleagues for the knowledge impact which has shaped the considerations for our course delivery. What we are receiving is high quality skill transfer. We plan to learn well enough to ensure nothing less in our delivery.

• Dear Katy

I’m most probably going to ADOPT most aspects of the training I am experiencing right now, why invent a new wheel when the latest invent is rolling just fine. For example, I certainly will engage the short video and reversed learning teaching model. I like that when we get to discuss a subject, a participant would have already learnt through video and homework participation, so they are able to participate in on-going discussion during live sessions. Secondly, I certainly will push for an information resource centre, maybe a website like the one we have now.

In as much as the course is heavy workload, I suppose adopting it as is terms of time is the best, there will be no need to restructure, if you follow the syllabus you ensure that all aspects of the standard are covered. If the course stretches, there may be many drop outs as people steam-out.

Participant engagement will be informed by the subject facilitator. Participants are to be kept engaged via active discussions that recognises especially the less active team members. It’s important to acknowledge good work done as it encourages all to do well.

Before course starts, it is critical to mentally prepare participants that whilst you appreciate that they have full time job, the course is going to be demanding and taking a lot of their spare times yet needs is very rewarding in terms of knowledge gained and really for the own CVs too.

In my country and more so as we go to rural provinces, internet challenges are anticipated. Therefore, just like I have been taught, I will ensure that I emphasise need for backup gadgets, a strategy which seems to be saving me lately. Also, the engagement of the learning video record will assist ensuring that all interested are not left behind. The video can be accessed when one has good connectivity. There has of course got to be evidence that someone has gone through the video.

The incentive program is a tricky one, as there will be limited resources. However, considering this will be a MoHCC initiative, the participants need to learn that success in such programmes creates opportunity for employments at hierarchically higher level lab in the system, exposing them to other job opportunities in future. A marking scheme and grading at high school level can be adopted.

The measure of success will be based on the grading of assignments submitted. Participation in live class and evidence of recorded video review will be considered too.

• My course structure and model will not be any different from the one being used by this program. I believe this model is well designed and very effective and for that matter, I would want to replicate same in my country when the opportunity is presented.

Considering the cost and safety implications, especially in this time of COVID-19, that come with face-to-face meetings, I would adopt the e-learning mode.

I would also adopt the flipped mode so as to ensure maximum participation and commitment from all participants. I will encourage interpersonal connection and learning community by introducing group assignments and also providing a common platform such as the "discussion forum" and "office hours" where participants could share their challenges and experiences for discussions.

I would engage participants through assignments and by the use of polls and randomly calling participants to make contributions or answer questions during live sessions.

Timely attendance and submission of homework would be encouraged by implementing an incentive program such as awarding "SLMTA Dollars/Cedis" for early attendance submission of assignments. However, penalties, as pertains to the current model, would be applied for late or non-submission of homework as well as non-attendance to the mandatory live session and failing to watch the recorded version accordingly.

with regards to internet challenges, I intend to make use of at least three devices and identify a location with good internet connectivity during the live sessions.

The indicators I would monitor would include; Timely attendance to live sessions, timely submission of homework, the quality of homework submitted, active participation contributions during the live sessions, and contributions to the discussion forum.

Since it would be in-country and the constraint of different time zones is eliminated, would schedule the "live sessions" and the "office hour" after normal morning shift working hours since the pressure is most of the time at a minimum during this period. This will ensure the full participation of all participants.

• Hybrid is the best!

• From my point of view, I will adopt the entire SLMTA3 Model. 

I will use the "flipped classroom" model participants do homework before coming to a live session.

I will break the class into Group discussions to deepen their learning.

I will also adopt most of the training materials.

I will also use the ISO 15189 clauses to explain LQMS concepts.

I will also call participants by name, just like in the SLMTA3 Model. This strategy will keep my audience engaged and listening to the topic.

I will also implement the e-Learning mode.

• My course delivery model, will mostly be a replica of SLMTA 3e-learning that I'm learning now. I plan to agree with team Botswana to conduct the e-learning course within a duration of six months, as soon as we finish ours , while the ideas are still fresh in our minds. I wish all our participants will have resources needed for this course, especially the IT resources, that i plan to advocate for since we will be targeting to enthusiastic and passionate Labs which would have showed good performance from our baseline assessment through the SLITA that is currently on-going, much appreciating our QM for being pro-active.

• The course delivery model will not to different then the e-learning course. We plan to rely on the SLMTA 3 eLearning website because it’s standard and easier for trainer and attendant. Create own lecture and content required additional coast. we plan to do it on 8 weeks, we will perform 2 live sessions per week to have participant concentrate on the training and give them time to do homework. Make it too long for my people can demotivate them. we will have:

Webinars

Office Hours

Homework/self-study (flipped classroom)

Peer Support

ECHO series for Improvement Projects

• @Betty Pierre ALEXANDRE

Please keep us posted of your implementation - shortened to 8 weeks. I will be very curious how it works. Thanks in advance.

• SLMTA 3 Course Website

Will you plan to rely on the SLMTA 3 eLearning website (200+ lecture recordings and 300+ documents), or will you build your own (i.e., record your own lectures, create your own content, have your own URL, etc.)? Why?

We have planned to rely on the   SLMTA 3 eLearning website (200+ lecture recordings and 300+ documents)

Reasons.

1.      The lecture recordings and documents are well prepared and in our assessment they are, user-friendly, comprehensible and  fit for the intended purpose

2.      Using the already prepared training materials will save us time since and allow us to implement the training earliest following completion of the TOT.

Course structure and duration

How many weeks? How many live sessions per week? And why?

·        15  Weeks

·        2 Live Sessions. (Tuesday & Friday. Tuesday meeting to be limited to 30-45 Minutes hybrid- WhatApp Homework Clarification)

Reasons,

·        Based on the experience gained through the TOT, 15 weeks are considered an appropriate period with a manageable pace to conduct the training in consideration of the competing priorities of the participants in NIP laboratories.

Note: We plan to limit the Tuesday session to a maximum of 45 minutes

• Dear Dr. Katy,

As I have almost completed the course, I start changing my view again. I will adopt SLMTA 3 model with smaller number of participant average 15-20 per course. I will use the SLMTA 3 record video lecture to be feasible to transfer the right information from SLMTA 3 trainers to Cambodia participants without missing any concept. However, I want to make a slightly change on homework. Some homework, we can change it to group homework to let participant to engage in team to let them learn to interact and learn with each other. Importantly, it can reduce the burden of individual homework. For example, homework on PDSA, Internal audit, safety audit, management review meeting, and all process development. These homework we can change it to group homework, and put it in group discussion.

Regards,

Kimsorn

• Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion. It is exciting to see what you will ADOPT, ADEPT, or ABANDON. Do keep us informed of how your implementation goes.