Change Concepts for Improvement

edited August 30 in Archived

I really interested on the idea Change Concepts for Improvement , use PDSA tool to monitor the improvement that we would like to satisfy our lab customers. certainly I apply the principle for my daily life improvement beyond laboratory boundary .

Comments

• If you have been exposed to SLMTA training previously, you remember "Using the Improvement Method" activity, which teaches PDSA (or PDCA) as the core CQI methodology. In the SLMTA 3 curriculum, which absorbed the SLMTA 1 curriculum, we updated our CQI methodology. The new activity is called "Using the Model for Improvement" (in QMS 1) and the CQI methodology is more robust. It is based on the DMAIC framework - Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control. Note that I (for Improve = PDSA) only comes after you have Defined the problem (D), Measured the magnitude of the problem (M), and Analyzed the root cause for the problem (A). This way, your improvement/interventions (PDSA) addresses the real (root) problems and not the symptoms. This is data-driven improvement that Toyota used and is the cornerstone approach used in Lean.

For more information on the DMAIC methodology, check out the LARC website (https://www.larccqi.org/).

The LARC workbook (https://www.larccqi.org/uploads/resources/LARC-3.0-WORKBOOK.pdf) contains a full suite of CQI tools supporting the DMAIC framework.

CQI=Continuous Quality Improvement

• wow, many thanks Dr Katy, this is great..... I wish i saw this earlier, its very precise,

I like how you connect PDSA and MFI, its just perfect for my reference laboratory and networks,

Many thanks again💓

• To Zein

You will be learning about the tools for improvement during the course. A practical application is to choose a tool that is simple to use and is easily explained to staff members that are required to do the improvement. You will hear me say this in the facilitation. Try not to focus on the tool but rather the action to improve and if the tool is not that well used it not the end of the world the principle is important and the evidence of improvement.

• Following this idea of change concept and comparing the principles to the folklores of my people I have come to the realization that our elders were scientist. There are many stories and proverbs in folklores about the idea of change concept for improvement. For example it is said of the vulture that it has no next because it wish to build a complex nest at an instance. Whenever it is raining it says "tomorrow i will build my nest". On the other hand the dove builds its simple nest with few twigs in a gradual process and it has a nest.

The change concept as you have said is not only applicable in the laboratory setting but in real life application too.

• The concept of change should and must begin with leadership and management of the laboratories since much power and authority has been given to them even though the laboratory staff have roles and responsibilities to play