Why Adding Activities external to the laboratory in the Management Calendar?

edited August 30 in Archived

From Our Just Concluded Week 3 Webinar, Any activity, even if not done inside the laboratory as long as it is for the lab and about the over all goals and objectives of the laboratory, it is deemed eligible to be placed in the Lab's management calendar,

However I think for facilities with overwhelming action plans, especially in the context of Public health reference laboratories such ours here, We prioritise activities and specify the ones that are technical to be included in the management calendar, and the bulk of activities meant to roll-out for the network is added to the annual work plan and dated accordingly, since their dates are liable to modifications or deletions.

Let's talk......Is this right?

Comments

• I strongly agree with you Zein emphasing it with the quote "failing to plan is planning to fail". Therefore for laboratory management to succeed, and effectively and efficiently implement laboratory quality management system, all external and internal schedules should be factored in when preparing a laboratory management calendar. Internal schedules like training outside the laboratory, field visit for monitoring and onsite technical support, annual and study leaves etc. One external schedule that sometimes we forget to include in our laboratory management calendar is national or statutory or religious holidays. When I was preparing the management calendar i.e. the homework assignment, I had to factor in that because Ghana has some holidays in the months of April, May and June since the Public Health Reference Laboratories do not work on these days, hence such consideration helps us to plan our activities smoothly well.

• External activities that can influence internal activities needs to be considered in planning the laboratory internal management calendar for the following reasons

1. To avoid clashing of internal and external activities
    2. To ensure both internal and external activities are prioritized, planned and executed timely
    3. To ensure efficient use of human, financial and material resources
  • You are right Clement,

Just what we have been saying