CHALLENGES OF FIT-FOR-PURPOSE PROCESS IN LOW RESOURCED LABS

edited August 30 in Archived

What are some of the challenges of making a process fit-for-purpose in low resourced laboratories?

Comments

• Absence of resource by it self in general , to implement the desired fit -for -purpose process

• Clement - you have to always strive for the fit for purpose process and do the best you can with the resources you have. You may need to investigate a good contingency plan for when your process does not fill its requirements/objectives.

• Great one Awad, however there will definitely be some resources if its to be called a lab in the first place, just as madam Janet rightly put, so we must ensure a fit for purpose processes is met if structure is to be recognised or else that facility will just be a waste of time and a bank of errors at the detriment of its patients that are attending there

• One of the challenges of not making fit-for-purpose process is in resources limited laboratories is our inability to make use of our local materials in building our processes but highly depends on donors for support

• To determine whether something is fit for purpose, it must first be clear what the ‘purpose’ is

The phrase ‘fit for purpose’ indicates that something is of good enough quality and design that it does what it’s meant to do. Almost anything can be described as being fit (or not fit) for purpose, from products to services, processes, information and entire system.

• Does innovation and creativity play a role in fit-for-purpose processes in low resource laboratory?

I will like tell the story of MLS Veronica Bekoe. This retired MLS was first posted to a village lab in Ghana and water supply to her lab was a challenge. She designed the bucket with a tap as a reservoir which was filled with water daily for the running of her village. This bucket tap reservoir later became known as the Veronica bucket. The veronica bucket played a major in role in hand washing during the COVID19 pandemic in Ghana and beyond. She was recently honored by the President for her creativity and her contribution to the pandemic fight. That is creativity.

While I was concerned will the long turnaround time of malaria microscopy test (1h30min). The lab used hot air oven to dry the slides but it also came with its challenges or drawbacks such as charring of smears or leaving water of vaporization that mxed with immersion oil and made microscopy difficult. I decided to reduce the TAT to at least 30min without these drawbacks so I develoved a device called Aryee Improved Rack (AIR) with some low cost materials. With AIR stained slides dried in less than 5min.