Value of the CME Credit

edited August 30 in Archived

We spent a lot of effort and money to get this eLearning course accredited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®). For each Friday webinar you attended (and completed a short survey), you got one CME credit. I am wondering if this investment is worth it? How valuable are these CME credits to you? If we stop providing the credits, what will happen? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• Accredited CME addresses every medical specialty, covering the full range of topics important to healthcare improvement. Whether medical laboratory scientists work in clinical care, research, healthcare administration, executive leadership, or other areas of medicine, accredited CME is designed to be relevant to their needs, practice-based, and effective.

Participation in accredited CME helps medical laboratory scientists meet requirements for maintenance of licensure, maintenance of certification, credentialing, membership in professional societies, and other professional privileges.

medical laboratory scientists can count on accredited CME to provide a protected space for them to learn and teach without commercial influence.

medical laboratory scientists are expected to deliver safe, effective, cost-effective, compassionate care, based on best practice and evidence. Accredited CME helps make that happen.

• Dear Dr Katy, I appreciate your all effort s to support us in this training . I need the certeficate , it has value & required to cascade this training , also opportunity to shine for our Resume .

• I agree with you Clement , it is true in Ethiopia and every where .

• Every profession need members who maintain their knowledge and skills. The only sure way of maintaining professional knowledge outside classroom is through CME. The Laboratory profession is continuously becoming strict with the Medical Laboratory Practitioners. If you want to renew annual membership for registration, it is a requirement to show evidence that you have been participating in CME. If you stop providing credits, we shall have know evidence that we do participate in CME and it will be a huge challenge to renew our Laboratory professional licenses.

• Thanks for acknowledging this fact. We are most grateful to the organizers of SLMPTA TOT for this privilege.

• CME credits are important to Medical Laboratory Scientists for professional development, compliance with Medical Laboratory Science Association requirements for continued practice, and to maintain medical licenses and remain credentialed to provide laboratory services to customers.

This is very valuable to me because some of our countries do not even have an institution that can offer us these CME credits, yet it is a requirement to have them.

I am excited that upon completion of this course, I will have CME credits for the first time in my life 😀. We really appreciate the effort spent to get this eLearning course to be accredited.

• They are very useful. Because SLMTA has been accepted and adopted as the roadmap towards accreditation, the regulatory body accepts the CME credit for license renewal. It is also one way of renewing your mentorship skills if you have labs that are implementing QMS or preparing for national or international accreditation.

• Thanks for the effort Dr Katy, In Tanzania in order to renew practicing license, which is done annually, you need to have at least twenty CME points provided by accredited international organizations or CME provider approved by Tanzanians health Laboratory practitioners council.

The bottom line is its worth the effort however in order to claim the CME point I would have to present evidence of attendanding Friday webinars to the council such as a certificate, therefore I suggest you provide certificate of attendance for each Friday webinar so that the one point can be used.

So what will happen if you stop providing the credits, nothing much since most of us we are in mid to senior level in our career which means we have more opportunity for obtaining CME pointsthrough other means such a mentoring, In Tanzania single mentorship session will earn me 5 CME pioints.

• CME are vital to development of every health professionals with Medical Laboratory Science not an exception in Ghana because of our yearly renewal with our council.

• Dear katy , you may not know how much this e-learning is contributing to impact knowledge on the the 26 participant that you have recruited for this training and how many life these participant will save with the knowledge they are acquiring . So to me what you are paying out for this course is worth it importance so I plead you should not filled discourage to stop providing the credit. I know how much time and resources I have invested in this course and I am determined to to follow it to the end .

• Hi Maneo, you get your CME certificate after each webinar if you attended it and completed the survey. Have you not received those?

•  Dear Katy,

Thanks for your continued efforts. CME is a vital component of professional development.

I think we are all eagerly waiting for this.

• CME is very important in any field , todays world things keep changing ,and through CME one can build his/her capacity, knowledge, compliance etc.

Am grateful and thankful to be in this course.

• The CME credits are important to me because they will up grate my CV as they are a proof that the training has been accredited. This is going to open a lot of opportunities for me.

• Continuing medical education (CME) is about helping those of us, in the medical field, maintain competence and learn new and developing knowledge and practice skills. In this course we are achieving that as an online program. We are benefitting from the use of audio, video, and other electronic media. There is a lot of input and effort from both facilitators and participants such that the award or credits to those who successfully participate is fully merited.

In Malawi, CME is a requirement for annual practice re-registration for all medical professionals. One requires to meet 15 credits at minimum, otherwise one has to be de-registered, until CAP is implemented. However the authority in Malawi,( Medical Council of Malawi) fails to implement the policy due to capacity challenges.

• Thank you a lot Dr Katy and team for your outstanding efforts. The CME component is of paramount importance to every lab personnel's professional development.

So i'm personally for the idea of CME.

• Thanks for the question raised, and I sincerely believed, that the investment is worth it. The CME is of significant value in that it is helping us to sharpen our knowledge and understanding in quality management system, especially using master trainers with years of experience in teaching the course. The course is of greater value to me for many reasons, license renewal purpose, job related functions, inputs to national discussion on quality management system. It will definitely harm the expansion of the quality management system especially for low-income countries, and place a dark cloud on quality management system.

• Hi Katy,

I think this response is from you '' Hi Maneo, you get your CME certificate after each webinar if you attended it and completed the survey. Have you not received those?'' I have not also been getting any certificate from the attended webinars in which I have also completed all the surveys.

• The CME credits are important for us ..in South Africa for the Health professions council.The credits accrued should appear on our certificates at the end of the training so that I can submit to HPCSA..

• In science and in the medical field things keep developing and there is need for one to be up to date with knowledge hence CME is very important.

• Dear Katy,

I really appreciated your effort as well as that of the other facilitators for your contribution to this e-learning course, it's very serious and intensive, and I can say that I've never followed a serious e-learning course like this....

If you stop providing the credits for the participants, it really depends on you. To me, money is not as important as the knowledge that I am learning with you all, but it serves as a psychological symbol to show when you have worked hard, then you get a small gift, and it's also very exciting to wait for the results every week and know if you have worked well or not....

• I again appreciate your and the other facilitator and trainer to give us this opportunity to upgrade our knowledge and get new experience. Recently Ethiopian regulatory body issues mandatory requirements for renewal of licenses every 3 years , which include to bring evidence of 30 CME from accredited CPD centers like other countries .

Thank you too all my eLearning classmates , c u tomorrow

• The CME credits are very important for us in our career development/improvement. CME provide us an up to date with continuing education, enhance more comprehensive knowledge and also improve practical skill. The certificate that we are receiving will be used to update in our CV and personal file. Moreover, same as what Henry & Issac mentioned, in Cambodia, CME is a requirement for licensing renewal annually too, for all health care professional.

• Dear Dr. Katy and all master trainers...

To me this course like a machine that produce me to a new person. I like the way that every lesson and activities are "fit for purpose".

You know when we start to implement QMS, sometimes I do a lots, but it isn't enough because I do in the wrong direction. So, this course is cultivating my conscience to fit for purpose.

To me I even don't know or familiar yet what is CME Credit (I will search after) and $ is not my interesting at all... It really up to you for the decision Katy, to me I just want to improve my knowledge and skill that is it.

I want to say thank you to this course and all master trainers working hard for us.

Thank you very much. 🙏

• For SierraLeone, There is a serious gap in acknowledging these CME credits as part of Academic merits in Medical colleges or institutions, However for the purpose of our CV and personal growth, it has been shown to increase our confidence and recommendations for specific roles in our facilities.

Always grateful to be awarded CMEs

Never know what entity or where it will be appreciated to the maximum, so achieving them is a great step forward always

Many thanks to You @Dr. Katy Yao and team for all that you do for this course and for us participants